Friday, March 11, 2011


I'm not going to lie to you. Fridays at my work have turned into a bit of a joke. The joke is that I'm actually here. 


The first part of the day the residents swarm the hairdresser who only keeps Friday hours. They buzz about outside the salon and refuse to leave their spot in the line in fear that someone will jump in front of them and get their cut in curl 15 minutes earlier. They WILL NOT (for the most part) participate in Activities with me on Friday morning - so I threw in the towel and went ahead and put Hair Salon on their calendar . So what do I do Friday mornings?

Well, here I am.

Perhaps I will actually have a few moments to hack out an actual update.


  • First of all. After I returned from vacation I changed offices.Remember how when I transfered I went from a glorious hard wood floored activity SUITE to a desk squeezed in by a copier? Well, two weeks ago I finally found a happy medium. Its an actual office - with a door - that locks. After a few months of copy machine adjacency I am in 7th heaven. And since I now have a glorious door I can shut it and find time to catch up on things (including blogs) in peace. Something I haven't been able to do since November. Its lovely. 
  • Speaking of work: things are finally leveling out after the sale and transition. Things are definitely working out in my favor financially. I've taken on another "position" in addition to being the Activity Director which has also increased my salary slightly. I am now also the Front Desk supervisor. Meaning I hire, schedule, staff all of our concierges. It was a source of much stress when I first returned from vacation because I literally accepted the task the day I left for Florida and that same day one of the concierges announced she was leaving for another job (not related to my taking the supervisory position TYVM). So I returned to a vacant spot that I had to staff by the skin of my teeth. It worked out though. 
Me at my desk Monday morning. Not a great picture but I know how boring posts with no pictures can be so here ya go!

  • Speaking of the door to my office from the earlier bullet point - the minute I forget to lock it people just barge on in, scare the crap out of me, and bust me not working! Not that this person was my boss - or that I'm in trouble-  but now let be known I slack off on Fridays lol!
  • I have not done so well with working out and/or eating well since I've been back from Florida. I may be up a lb or 2 but its hard to tell since I fluctuate so much from day to day any way. I'm very thankful that I've essentially maintained through the holidays and the bulk of the winter. Especially since WW got all sassy and changed to Points Plus completely revamping their entire Point System. I believe in the changes they've made but I was not a "member" before - meaning I used all things that I found on the internet and apps to track points and things. Well when WW changed I no longer had access to pertinent information therefore Point counting basically ceased. I'm thinking if I want to continue to be successful with loss (if I want to get this last 5-8 lbs off) I'm going to have to bite the bullet and join. I also have been jonesing to get outside for work outs and the weather has just SUCKED - unfortunately that has been my excuse to not work out for weeks. 
My planner open on my desk a few days ago. Left side my schedule. Right side trying to track what I ate! Also you can see I PLANNED to go to Zumba Tuesday but I never made it!

  • Friendship Realization. This has been hard lately. I have spring fever bad and all I want to do is go out and play. Doesn't have to be a lot or a crazy night out - just want to be around people and do SOMETHING!!! Well Ben works all day Saturday and usually gets off late Friday night. Emily usually does too. And then the crickets start chirping. I have other friends sure. One in California, one in Louisiana, one in the hick sticks of Indiana, and one who is about to give birth. Those are my closest 5 girlfriends. So basically if Emily doesn't want/is not available to do things ... I'm on my own. It seems as though all of my other friends are busy parenting and living a very domestic (read: stay at home) life. And while that makes sense - it bums me out. I'm not ready for that life yet. So what do I do in the meantime and with whom? I'm thinking of taking up a class. Creative writing or something to meet some new people. Its hard after being out of school for so long though. Where do you meet new people?

Well, I've been here long enough now I suppose to fill you in on at least the thoughts in my head this Friday morning. Hope you all had a great week and an even better weekend! I'm still hoping to come back in full force very soon. Just takes.....what's the word again? Oh! Motivation.

Much Love Always!

Mrs. Amber Lane

1 comment:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Welcome back! That's great that you got an office with a door!