Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If It Aint Broke..Don't Fix It

In 1999 I borrowed a set of hair curlers from my sister to do my own hair for my sophomore homecoming,

They were nothing special, no switches, no bells, no whistles. Just rubber hair curlers in three sizes that didn't light up when they got hot, didn'tchange colors when they were cool- they just went in your hair with little horseshoe shaped pins, stayed in for 15 minutes, then came out, leaving your hair bouncy, shiny, and curly.

I never gave those curlers back and they have worked for me- without fail for over 10 years.

Only problem is; all the bells and whistles of the new curlers with their heat up clips and their soft, felty goodness made me swoon. My curlers were missing a few pins anyway and I thought it really was time to move on.

So I packed away my trusty curlers and bought a new set with the heat up clips and the felty, cool-to-the-touch curler and thought they would work fantastically- I mean they were made 10 years are more into the future from my other curlers, with the advancement in technology they had to work 10 times better!

Nope,wrong, nuh-uh- they freaking suck.

My hair is processed to a nearly platinum blonde every six weeks - its thick and though its straight, it will hold a wave when twirled around my finger. So explain to me why a $35 set of curlers didn't so much as and a half inch of volume?!?!?


I know this all sounds really stupid- but I just had a mini melt down tearing apart our upstairs looking for my old set of curlers. I have been trying to get in with my stylist for a week with no luck first they were closed for snow, then my girl got her car stuck in a snow drift, now I have an apt. scheduled for Sat. morning but an event that I'm the host of- tomorrow. My roots are dark and noticable and my eyebrows look like unruly little catterpillars- sure I could pluck but then I wouldn't be able to wax on Sat. and then the cycle would start all over again. Being the savvy chica I am- I figured if I could roll my hair then mold it into some stylish updo adored with a flower or a bow or something that would divert attetion from my roots and I'm banking on the hope that my glasses (that I only NEED to wear for reading) will cover my Bert brows. So imagine my frustration when my craptastic curlers failed to do the trick!

When I pulled the curlers out and stared at my limp, multi-colored strands the hissy fit commenced- I had to use my old curlers- only problem is- I had no idea where I stashed them. I stormed the bedroom for a few minutes before I called Ben off the computer and demanded he help me look as I continued to stomp around with a flashlight looking under beds and in backs of closets.

"What's wrong with you?!?!" Ben asked me finally

My answer?

"I'm mad because I bought a new set of curlers that suck and my old ones worked perfectly fine!"

I said it with complete frustration and disgust then there was a moment of silence before Ben and I cracked up, I pulled my head out of my bum, and remembered where I stashed the old curlers.

They are heating to perfection as I type. Tomorrow the new curlers go in the garbage and the old curlers reclaim their throne on my vanity.

Ugh.

I'm totally over this story and this dilemma. I've learned two things from this event:

#1 Always have a standing apt. for beauty maintenance
#2 And never fix it if it aint broke

I WILL NEVER PART WITH THESE CURLERS EVER!

Grr. PMS is a hell of an ailment.

Ladies,

Goodight!

Much Love Always,

Miss Amber Lane

3 comments:

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

Oh. my. god.

Are we on the same cycle?! Does that happen to coeds and coworkers... and bloggy girlfriends? :)

It's PMS central on this end, too.

Anyway, do you remember those hot rollers that camp with a little "steam station?" You would put one curler on top of it and steam it indivually, and each roller had a little plastic cover instead of a pin?

WHAT were those things called?! I practically lived on those things in the early nineties!

Shannon Dew said...

hahahahaha this made me laugh! I know how you feel though, I have curling irons from forever ago and I will not get one of the new fancy schmancy ones! I need to get some curlers tough, desperately!

Elle said...

You know what they say...if it ain't broke, don't fix it :). Glad you found the oldies, err, classics.